Philip, Amanda and A Crack in the Floor

Once again, another short weekend. After making that not-so-great panini, I installed Linux on Elise’s machine. I guess I’ll refrain from calling it Elise’s machine now because I’m sure she’ll never use it. I was hoping to partition the hard drive so we could have a dual boot system… one with Windows XP and the other with Linux. No such luck. I totally reformatted the hard drive and it’s now running Linux exclusively.

I piddled around with it for a little while until my skull started hurting. I watched the U.S. loose to Germany in the World Cup semi-finals, then I took a nap. I woke up to the phone ringing – it was Philip. El and I loaded up and headed to Austin.

Philip works on an offshore drilling ship out in the Atlantic off of Nova Scotia. He’s gone 2-3 weeks, then comes home for 2-3 weeks. He and his girlfriend, Amanda just moved to Austin from Brenham a couple months ago.

Anyway – we got to Austin around 7. We hung out at Philip and Amanda’s apartment for an hour or so, then Philip had to take Amanda to work. El and I sat there and watched Orange County on DVD – we didn’t attentively watch it, but the parts we did catch were pretty funny.

Philip came back and we left to go grab something to eat before heading downtown. We went to Bennigan’s and had some appetizers and drinks. Our waiter was the biggest moron in the state of Texas. I don’t know where to start… it’s not even worth recollecting – all I can say is this dude took a double dunk in the dumb pond.

So, we drove downtown – drove around for an hour trying to find a place to park. We finally parked in our ‘usual’ spot (don’t know why we didn’t do that from the get-go – would have saved ourselves some time). While walking down 6th, we ran into Cody and one of his friends. We recruited them and then went to visit Amanda at work. She was upset about something – so we decided to get going. We went to the least crowded bar and all sat down and talked. Nothing earth shattering happened, we just had a good time hanging out and laughing.

We closed the bar and had to take Philip back home. El and I didn’t get back to Temple until the wee hours of the morning.

Sunday was a laaaaaaazy day. We just sat in bed and watched Comedy Central. We got up to go to HEB and buy some ribeyes and potatos for dinner. Next time you’re at the grocery store, pick up some McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning… this stuff is awesome (worthy of a plug on my site) – I eat it out of the shaker when I’m cooking.

So – we had ribeyes, mashed potatos and fresh green beans from Mom and Dad’s garden. I boiled the beans for a couple minutes, then tossed them with some clarified butter and fresh garlic – they were awesome. Next time I ask you to smell my finger, don’t turn your nose and dry heave, I just want to prove that I have a permanent garlic smell on my left index finger. I figure that here shortly, I won’t have to ever cut garlic again… I’ll just rub my finger on whatever I need garlic on. I have to remember to pick my nose with my right hand or I’ll be smelling garlic all day – either that, or somehow talk Elise into doing it for me.

After dinner we watched A Crack in the Floor. It’s supposed to be a horror flick – we laughed almost the whole time. It was soooo bad – yet so funny. If you feel like spending $3 for a good 5 minute laugh, rent it. Gary Busey’s part is hilarious. The short of it: He offers up a fresh chicken wing as a suppository.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *