Neupogen: Day 3

Headache (probably cranial swelling), fatigue, sore bones – mainly upper body, especially my chest and back ribs. My right humerus started aching on the way home from work this evening. I’ve found it laborious to breathe at times. And the best part, diarrhea! Squirt for a Cure.

I went in for my Neupogen injections at 1 p.m. sharp this afternoon. As always, Rosie and Laurie’s spirits were high — mine, not as much this time. I’m still really excited, but I’ve been really run down. I tried to joke and laugh and talk, but I just kind of wanted to sit in the chair, have my vitals taken, answer questions and get my shots.

Rosie asked if I’d been taking anything for the pain.


“Oh, but you should. You’ll feel a lot better.”

“No. Y’all know I’m on strike.”

“Okay, but no more sympathy from me.”

“That’s okay. I’ll still love you.”

The rest of the afternoon was kind of ho-hum. I got back to the office in time for a meeting, which meant I didn’t get a chance to eat until after 2 p.m. I’d only had a piece of ezekial bread for breakfast from a loaf that Julie had made and given to us, so I was starving. I walked over to Jimmy John’s and ordered a Gargantuan with peppers. I ate half and gave the other half to John.

Last night I took 1000 mg of calcium, which I’m wondering if that might have helped with the aches in my skeleton. I also ate quite a few Tums today, which was recommended by Rosie yesterday. She told me that during the donation, my face and lips might start tingling, which is a sign of calcium deficiency, so I should start eating Tums like candy. Another perk of donating PBSC – guaranteed zero heartburn! So there’s your excuse to join the National Marrow Donor Program.

Elise and I had a difficult conversation last night. I guess was a little self-absorbed in my PBSC donation and had somewhat lost a connection with the fact that my wife will have to endure a miscarriage or a D&C soon. She’d called the doctor’s office yesterday morning, trying to get some kind of closure, or some answers to questions she still had. She waited in anguish until the physician’s assistant finally called her back late in the afternoon. She pretty much confirmed the inevitable, which took a big toll on Elise.

So we talked about it last night. She was really upset, and to add salt to the wound, she said she felt bad for not being enthusiastic about what was going on in my life.

To make a long story short, Elise talked to her mom today and decided to go to San Antonio with me tomorrow night and to be with me during the donation on Thursday. Originally she hadn’t planned on going because of scheduling conflicts and because we didn’t think we could entertain Maly at the hospital. Elise called my mom today and asked if she would come up tomorrow to stay with Maly at our house so Elise could be with me.

So I’m happy that Elise and I will be together all day on Thursday. We’re nervous that she could have a miscarriage while we’re at the hospital. So we’ll just have to wait to see what happens.

In the meantime, Maly was extraordinarily happy to see me when I got back from work tonight. She ran up to me and gave me a huge hug as I’d barely the chance to get through the door and kneel down. She’d forgotten about the boo boo band-aid conversation we’d had earlier that morning. After I settled in, I called Maly into the dining room and showed her my band-aids, which I intentionally left glued to my arm all day. She thought that was the coolest thing…

“Um um um um um, uh, Daddy work! And and and um, shots! And um um boo boo band-aids?!?”

“Yep, Sugar. Boo boo band-aids.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *